Classique

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Spirit

I have decided that for me...teaching and blogging do not mix. I cannot seem to blog anymore. Even though my life is so eventful these days.

Part 1:
For Thanksgiving I went and visited my sister Heather and my brother-in-law Christopher up in Seattle. It was so much fun and awesome to spend time with them. They bought a house so it was very cool to finally see what it looks like. They also got two cats so I got to meet their little family. My brother-in-law has the best family. It was fun to spend time and see them all again. I cannot wait to go back.

Part 2:
Most of my kiddos have nothing. This week I gave them one of their Christmas presents, early. It was a 24-count box of crayons that I had gotten at Wallmart at the beginning of the school year for 25 cents a box. Most of them were so excited about all the colors! It was cute that they were excited but kind of humbling.

As part of a district assessment. The first graders are writing a letter to Santa. I had two of my kids that all they said was 'they wanted new shoes'. My kiddos are 6 years old and they just want a new pair of shoes. That's heartbreaking.


I am generally a positive person. I try to look at the bright side of things and don't like bad situations to affect me.

One thing I have learned this year. Is I have little Christmas spirit. I don't know why I love the holidays. This year a Christmas miracle is taking place and I don't even know where to start.
I was talking to my really good friend the other day and telling her how I was kind of bummed about Christmas for all of my kiddos. I had learned that some of them are even stressed about having 2-weeks off (what kid would think that, right?). Well, what I didn't realize is that the school feeds them breakfast and lunch. And they hopefully eat dinner at homes. That broke my heart to hear that last week. What child should have to be worried about eating over break?

She told me she was going to talk to some of her contacts and see what she should do.

This morning I get a call from a guy that works in the Governers offie and he has some contacts and what would help my school out the most (the area my school is in is very rural and very poor - so there are no places in the area of the school that can provide assistance). Well, this guy is amazing he told me there is a meeting at lunch time and to get back to him asap so they can get some things approved.

I got an e-mail later on from him after my assistant principle called him back. That they were looking at giving 50 of the neediest families $75 and to give $10 to 125 kids for something to have. My assist. principle said that shoes and jackets where more of need than toys. There was things at the bottom about food but at this point I could not focus because I was in total shock.

I e-mailed the guy back and told him that his e-mail brought tears to my eyes and how amazing this all was. He replied back and told me that it has gotten a lot bigger! I am still in total shock. I think it will hit me in a few days the impact that my friend has made. I never really believed that one person could make such a huge difference. After all I am 1-1st grade teacher in a state with thousands of others. I am grateful and glad for all of my friends and how amazing they can be.

Part 3:
I am excited about a guy! I don't even remember the last time I have been this excited and have had such a connection with someone (I am such a cynic when it comes to men, or I was...). Happy Girl am I!!! Sorry no details just yet. But, I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

chlorinemonster said...

That is great news about your kiddos. Wow.

Kori Ann said...

Wow! That is so amazing. You are such a great teacher to care so much and its so wonderful to hear how much people help!

And, exciting about the guy =)!