Classique

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I love my job

I really do love my job. It takes up a lot of my time but I love going to work. I am going to stress how much I do like being a teacher. Because the rest of my blog isn't going to seem like it. I really do love it.

Here is what I don't like about being a teacher. I am just finishing up my 2nd year. And this is the 2nd time I don't know if I will have a job next year. With the state making even more cuts to education. I don't know if they can afford to keep me on staff. And if I am one of the lucky ones that gets to stay I will either get paid less or if I am lucky I'll make the same amount. And to tell you the truth that really sucks. I've never had a job where each time it's time for a raise I hope to make the same amount of money. I've never had a job where you did not get at least an annual raise.

I know money is not everything. But my base salary is almost 5k less than what it was at my old job. And how long will it before I actually get a raise. I don't think I can do this for 5 years and never go up on the scale. I make extra money by working 2 hours after school, I went to a conference 3 days of my spring break just to make an extra $600. I'll spend 3 weeks of summer break to earn extra money.

Before I became a teacher I had a life. I went out and had fun. I went on a lot of fun trips. Now that I am a teacher I have no life. Teaching is pretty much all I do and it consumes my life. I work an average of 7:15-5:30 (when I do after school). I usually go in once on the weekend just to try to "catch up".

Having a job that is so rewarding intrinsically. Well is it worth it? I've always been obsessed with money.

And lately I've been wondering if I should choose a different career. I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and getting some prereqs out of the way in science and in math. And if I am able to do well in those areas look into pursuing a degree in Pharmacy. It would probably take me until I'm 40 to finish. Okay maybe it won't take me 8 years but it would be awhile.

I am thinking I might sign up to take one of the prereq courses this summer. And going from there.

I do love teaching. I just don't want to be dirt poor the rest of my life or have to work 10-12 hour days just to make ends meet. :-(

This topic has been on my mind a lot lately. After writing about it I feel sad...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this :( I can't imagine what it would be like to in that position of wondering whether you'll have job next year or not :(
-M

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this :( I can't imagine what it would be like to in that position of wondering whether you'll have job next year or not :(
-M