Classique

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Baby D

Enoch and I had talked months about getting a puppy. We both really wanted to get a Blue Great Dane and name him/her Bailey (middle name Blue). One day Enoch called to tell me that someone that knew so-and-so that had a friend of a friend, etc. had a 6 month old Harlequin Great Dane that they were getting rid of and do I want it. Of course I've never had an impulsive bone in my body so it took me awhile to say "yes" (all of 5 minutes).

Deuce had a rocky puppy hood. He started off in his birth house (0 - 2 mo.), went to a family who decided they didn't have time for him or he was getting to big for them (2 mo. - 6 mo.), lived with Enoch (6 mo. - 7 mo.), and he came to me as a very "Large" 7-month old.

Enoch had him for the first month and here is one of the first pictures I got (look at those itty bitty paws).



A month later and Deuce and I met and he started living with me. Now I had never been a dog person, actually i had never had my own dog before. I remember being outside with him and thinking to myself, if Enoch and I ever break up he is soo taking this dog. Those first few months were hard I was trying to figure him out as he was me. Deuce had some separation issues and one day i realized it was because he didn't know where he belonged and who his family was. That warm and sunny day was the day Deuce melted my heart. I have never been the same since.

Now people are always shocked to learn that Deuce and I lived in an apartment for over a year. How can a big dog live in an apartment? Well, it was really easy (minus the stairs) the apartment was over 1000 sq. ft so we had plenty of room for the both of us. Back then he was not allowed on the coach or on the bed. He wasn't even permitted in the Kitchen (his head is taller than the counter top). It was actually funny keeping him out of the Kitchen. He didn't realize his size. At 7-months he was the height of a Greyhound. I would line my kitchen walk way with shoe boxes and he would just stand right next to them - never realizing he could step over. Of course I wasn't about to show him. Back then is when his obsession with ice began. If i needed a break from him for 5 minutes (because he was clingy and always at my side) I would get a handful of ice and put them on the floor and he would eat it all up. Now when he hears my mom getting ice out of the freezer, or anyone, he is right there waiting for a piece. The cheapest dog treat ever!!! He is such a crazy guy, he can't tell time but he sure knows when i should be home or when I am home early. If i came home really early I could make it all the way into the apartment and into the room without him realizing i was home and the perplexed look on his face was priceless for a few seconds. Now if I was late he would be barking and he hardly ever barks. Of course right on time he would be waiting for me at the door. He still is like that. Mom says the nights i have class, he passes in front every now and then.
We've been at my parents house for the past 2 years so I can finish up school. It's so much easier with him and I don't have to feel guilty and he has a best friend named Samson who is such a sweetheart. Now and days Deuce sleeps on the bed and is allowed on the coaches. But, he listens extremely well on them. It's like he appreciates it. Although he is completely spoiled he is not rotten as he still gets in trouble for things (on a side note: i am so nervous to have kids in my class whose parents think they do no wrong. We learned about these parents today in class and how they are setting their kids up for failure. And these parents are usually working against the teacher instead of the together for the best interest of their child. I-crumba!) a little discipline really makes a huge difference. Nothing crazy if he is being a little too crazy and I'm talking to my mom he has to go in the hallway and lay down. He grumbles at me a little as he lays down and even when i give him the evil eye (which he hates). Anyways, this is probably way more than ANYONE cares to know about Deuce. And if you have actually read this entire thing you seriously rock. I was going to blog an April Fools Joke about him but didn't have the heart to follow through. Deuce is an amazing dog and I have grown so much as a person by having him. I am lucky he was put into my life.
While every day we are faced with decisions. Some decisions happen so quickly but they impact and change the rest of our lives....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Deuce. Cracks me up that he spends more time with me than you. LOL. Guess that's just cause I'm a new smell. : )

Anonymous said...

Forgot to comment about my cat. I always compared her to social norms of humans. Lol. Glad I'm not the only one. : )