Classique

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Got my placement!

I am student teaching in the 3rd grade at Andersen Elementary home of the astronauts ;-)
Now student teaching feels real. And I am feeling very exciting to start.

Back in the fall of 2004 I took my first class - intro to education. That was the first class I ever really liked. I remember thinking how scary and intimidating student teaching seemed. I tried not to worry about it but I did wonder how will I be able to do it. I am so glad that I no longer feel that way. I guess if I did then teaching is not something I should be doing.

Knowing that I am going to be teaching 3rd grade brings back some memories.

My own 3rd grade experience was the worst. I had Mrs. Swanson who i dubbed "Mrs. Swanson the Wicked Witch of the West". She was simply awful. I remember she would grab the back of my neck and my wrist and dig in with her finger nails (which hurt!) while dragging me to some room near the front office. She would make me sit in their for hours (unsupervised). It was this empty room about the size of a large walk in closet with a long table and a chair. At the time I didn't know that this was wrong. But, looking back it totally infuriates me and makes me want to cry. Was I a difficult student, probably. I certainly did not deserve to be abused - no child does. I hate the fact that I didn't get her into trouble. I hate that I was lead to feel that "I was the problem". 3rd grade sucked for me. At least with my own personal experience it gives me empathy for those students who other teachers will dub "good luck with him/her" and I can find the good in them and help them be the best they can. Everyone has good in them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela, I LOVE your blogs. Please don't ever stop writing them. You give me hope. I love how you wrote that all children have good in them. I believe that too. I think we can all recall a teacher who was mean spirited and did terrible things.... then there are the Mr. Boucher's of the world. mmmmmmm he made jr high SO worth it. Yum. ;) I'm glad you got your assignment finally. I know it was weighing heavily on you not knowing where you'd be going. HUGS!!

Kori Ann said...

HI! I am so glad you found my blog so I could find yours. Yay. Thats great about student teaching. How fun.

Angela said...

Sara, thanks for all of your kind words. I'm sorry you had a bad teacher too - things like that should never happen.